I have been thinking about a suitable name to call the recent artwork that I have been creating in my studio that would be appropriate from an intellectual, visual and experiential level. This name would need to be flexible and open enough to encompass a freedom of many different genres and mediums of work, yet sufficiently tight enough to distinguish it from other approach to art that may not be in alignment with its definition. And so the words ‘Abstract Universalism’ came to mind as it seemed to aptly describe the essence of my paintings, namely, the work in my series The Vibratory Field normyip.com/The-Vibratory-Field and some of my work in the Graphite Series normyip.com/Graphite-Series. So what is Universalism? According to Wikipedia, it is a religious, theological, and philosophical concept with universal application or applicability. Universalist doctrines consider all people in their formation. Thus, universalism is grounded on the acceptance of varied belief structures that do not adhere strictly to any one religion and is encompasses different philosophical views. I won't go about defining the word 'Abstract', as it's easily understood by many already. Abstract Universalism’s underlying themes: – based on nature, the cosmos, energy particles, the sea, the land, the trees and nature. – spirituality and awakening of consciousness is present as an underlying foundation to the artwork. – artwork can contain all elements of different spiritual philosophies where there is no exclusion of beliefs. – the artwork provide the audience with the feeling of transcendence of mind and spirit. – idea generators may also include fractal patterns at micro and macro scales, and natural phenomenon (yet with human intervention, observation and reinterpretation) – the artwork tends not to be sensationalised, yet may be sensational in itself. – artworks tend to be large in scale to the human body in order to diminish the individual; the uniqueness is in the whole and sum of the parts. – The ‘I’ has been replaced by ‘We’. – decentralisation of man and ego; focus on humankind and non-duality. The full article with sample images of other artists who I feel are aligned with the ideas behind Abstract Universalism can be found on Pulse: www.linkedin.com/.../abstract-universalism-humanitys-new-art-movement-norm-yip or my blog: normyipart.wordpress.com/.../ I invite other artists to add or criticise my idea, or if you feel your work can be part of this suggested direction of art. Norm Yip | 葉灃
I have been thinking about a suitable name to call the recent artwork that I have been creating in my studio that would be appropriate from an intellectual, visual and experiential level. This name would need to be flexible and open enough to encompass a freedom of many different genres and mediums of work, yet sufficiently tight enough to distinguish it from other approach to art that may not be in alignment with its definition. And so the words ‘Abstract Universalism’ came to mind as it seemed to aptly describe the essence of my paintings, namely, the work in my series The Vibratory Field normyip.com/The-Vibratory-Field and some of my work in the Graphite Series normyip.com/Graphite-Series. So what is Universalism? According to Wikipedia, it is a religious, theological, and philosophical concept with universal application or applicability. Universalist doctrines consider all people in their formation. Thus, universalism is grounded on the acceptance of varied belief structures that do not adhere strictly to any one religion and is encompasses different philosophical views. I won't go about defining the word 'Abstract', as it's easily understood by many already. Abstract Universalism’s underlying themes: – based on nature, the cosmos, energy particles, the sea, the land, the trees and nature. – spirituality and awakening of consciousness is present as an underlying foundation to the artwork. – artwork can contain all elements of different spiritual philosophies where there is no exclusion of beliefs. – the artwork provide the audience with the feeling of transcendence of mind and spirit. – idea generators may also include fractal patterns at micro and macro scales, and natural phenomenon (yet with human intervention, observation and reinterpretation) – the artwork tends not to be sensationalised, yet may be sensational in itself. – artworks tend to be large in scale to the human body in order to diminish the individual; the uniqueness is in the whole and sum of the parts. – The ‘I’ has been replaced by ‘We’. – decentralisation of man and ego; focus on humankind and non-duality. The full article with sample images of other artists who I feel are aligned with the ideas behind Abstract Universalism can be found on Pulse: www.linkedin.com/.../abstract-universalism-humanitys-new-art-movement-norm-yip or my blog: normyipart.wordpress.com/.../ I invite other artists to add or criticise my idea, or if you feel your work can be part of this suggested direction of art. Norm Yip | 葉灃