Digital
Discussions > Art - Digital > Do digital tools and techniques help or hinder the creative process?
1 reply replies replies 2 subscriber subscribers

Do digital tools and techniques help or hinder the creative process?

• I'm a digital artist as well as working for StudioVox, so I spend most of my time in Illustrator. You can now use these drawing tools to create all sorts of amazing effects, which simply wouldn't be possible with 'analog' art. 

To me, it's not better or worse to be a digital artist, it's just different. What do you guys think? Is digital art really art?

Tyler.

I'm a digital artist as well as working for StudioVox, so I spend most of my time in Illustrator. You can now use these drawing tools to create all sorts of amazing effects, which simply wouldn't be possible with 'analog' art. 

To me, it's not better or worse to be a digital artist, it's just different. What do you guys think? Is digital art really art?

Tyler.

• I'm a digital artist as well as working for StudioVox, so I spend most of my time in Illustrator. You can now use these drawing tools to create all sorts of amazing effects, which simply wouldn't be possible with 'analog' art. 

Tyler.

Hi Tyler, I completely agree with you. All mediums are just formats for expression that are predicated on the tools used to create them. Digital media is almost a Pandora's box of creative tools. I think that "traditional" media will survive because physical reality has a degree of scarcity that digital media replaces with the utterly abundant ability to replicate things. The fact that physical things can't be as easily replicated will make them continue to have a high value. But that says nothing to advance an argument that digital art is any less art than anything else.