Creatives throughout history have created visionary works that transcend time; paintings, photographs, writings, sketches, sculptures, and designs that have become significant parts of our identifies and cultures. Their insight into the creative process and their perspectives on “seeing” the world, have guided and inspired countless creatives throughout the years and still do to this day.
We learn from these visionaries and when they speak, we listen.
- "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
- Vincent Van Gogh
- “Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it.”
- "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci
- “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
- Ernest Hemingway
- "An artist must never be a prisoner. Prisoner? An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation, prisoner of success, etc."
- Henri Matisse
- “You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club”
– Jack London
- "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."
- Coco Chanel
- "To design is much more than simply to assemble, to order, or even to edit: it is to add value & meaning, to illuminate, to simplify, to clarify, to modify, to dignify, to dramatize, to persuade, & perhaps even to amuse. To design is to transform prose into poetry."
- Paul Rand
- "Music can change the world because it can change people."
- “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”
- Maya Angelou
- "Filmmaking, like any other art, is a very profound means of human communication; beyond the professional pleasure of succeeding or the pain of failing, you do want your film to be seen, to communicate itself to other people."
- Kenneth Lonergan
- “The world is but a canvas to the imagination.”
- Henry David Thoreau
- “Art will remain the most astonishing activity of mankind born out of struggle between wisdom and madness, between dream and reality in our mind.”
- Magdalena Abakanowicz
- “Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”
- Aaron Siskind
Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you?
Are you a Digital Artist, Illustrator, Photographer or Fine Artist who'd like your artworks featured on StudioVox? Let's talk!