2016 has been a heartbreaking year for the music world. We've lost David Bowie, Natalie Cole, Glenn Frey, Merle Haggard and others. And now... we've lost Prince.
He was found unresponsive in an elevator Thursday morning after sheriff's deputies received a call for medical help from his Paisley Park Studios home outside Minneapolis. Exact cause of death is unknown at this time.
The iconic artist was born Prince Rogers Nelson on June 7, 1958. Over the course of his career, he won seven Grammys, an Academy Award, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and changed the music industry forever. He was passion personified when performing, pushing the creative envelope to new heights.
Those who saw his last show at Atlanta's Fox Theatre one week ago witnessed history in the making and didn't even know it.
Prince inspired countless musicians, artists and people all over the world and made being different cool. The artist's most beloved hits include Little Red Corvette, When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Purple Rain and Raspberry Beret.
It wasn't only his music that inspired, it was also his words. Here's a few of his statements that powerfully resonate with his passing. He'll be deeply missed.
- "A strong spirit transcends rules."
- "Everyone has their own experience. That's why we are here, to go through our experience, to learn, to go down those paths and eventually you may have gone down so many paths and learned so much that you don't have to come back again."
- "Time is a mind construct. It's not real."
- "The most important thing is to be true to yourself, but I also like danger. That's what's missing from pop music today. There's no excitement or mystery."
- "Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people."
- "All people care about nowadays is getting paid, so they try to do just what the audience wants them to do. I'd rather give people what they need rather than just what they want."
Image Source: Photo: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images