Considered the greatest Dutch painter after Rembrandt, Vincent van Gogh was a post-Impressionist painter whose work had far-reaching influence on 20th-century art. His works include portraits, self portraits, landscapes, still lifes, olive trees and more.
His paintings have captured the minds and hearts of millions of art lovers and inspired thousands of artists. However, it's not just his artworks that provide inspiration.
His insight into the creative process and perspective on “seeing” the world, have guided and inspired countless creatives throughout the years and still do to this day.
His words inspire us to create.
Happy Birthday Vincent van Gogh!
- "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
- "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream."
- "In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing."
- "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
- "Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul."
- "Even the knowledge of my own fallibility cannot keep me from making mistakes. Only when I fall do I get up again."
- "One must work and dare if one really wants to live."
- "Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model."
- "I see drawings and pictures in the poorest of huts and the dirtiest of corners."
Do you have a favorite Van Gogh quote?