Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister, activist, humanitarian, and leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. Famous for his non-violent protests and practice of civilized civil disobedience to combat institutionalized racism, he is one of the most poignant orators in American history and one of our greatest heroes.
His bravery and eloquence changed and evolved America.
His speeches and quotes still inspire today. In celebration of Martin Luther King Day, we're sharing some of his most powerful and inspiring words.
- "The time is always right to do what is right."
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
- "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
- "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
Image Source: Martin Luther King Jr. by rayebones