The White Room
A place where artists of all types come to exchange ideas and passions.<br />White, because every artist starts with a blank canvas.
Discussions > Art - White Room > Is there something inherently wrong with being commercially successful as an artist today?
1 reply replies replies 2 subscriber subscribers

Is there something inherently wrong with being commercially successful as an artist today?

• I hear a lot of talk about artistic integrity, but we've all got to pay the bills, right?

So do you think that the compromises you sometimes have to make as an artist to be commercially viable are just an inevitable part of being an artist today?

Would love to hear peoples' real experiences on this topic. Tyler

I hear a lot of talk about artistic integrity, but we've all got to pay the bills, right?

So do you think that the compromises you sometimes have to make as an artist to be commercially viable are just an inevitable part of being an artist today?

• I hear a lot of talk about artistic integrity, but we've all got to pay the bills, right?

Well, how do I say this?  I do exactly what I want, which causes me to sometimes still pick up odd jobs here and there, but with my art, it's what uplifts me, brings me joy, makes me laugh and when I do make money, I do really well.  It's just that sometimes I may have to endure a painful stretch between sales, but those gaps are getting shorter and fewer, so I'm encouraged.  

Do I live like my friends who get a paycheck every other Friday?  No, but then I decided a while ago I didn't want to live in that world so it's a trade off and I absolutely believe the time will come when I won't have those gaps anymore.  Once I get enough money behind my work, there are so many things I want to do with it, in so many different ways, I could be steadily busy.  The work is getting stronger, more attention, better press with every output.   I believe one has to be steady in pace, solid in content, honest with intention and keep going even when it seems no one is noticing.  We never know what's being said about our work out in the world, or who may have just this night, brought the work to the attention of someone who will then introduce an audience to it.  

Our job as artists is to keep faith in the work, and stay true to that which is within us trying to get out, to be expressed.  There is artistic integrity in being able to feed oneself and provide shelter for oneself.  I believe the way we respect ourselves is evident in every choice we make.  I also believe artists deserve to live comfortably, being paid for their work.  However, the artist, himself, must believe it's possible. You know how you know you believe it?  When you're living it!  It will be drawn right into your path when you are a vibrational match for it.  I am working to align myself with mine right now and I can see evidence of it coming to me in a variety of ways, so I keep steadily working.

I guess my answer to your questions is ultimately there is nothing wrong with being a commercially successful artist, but YOU must believe there is nothing wrong with it and not give a flip about what anyone else thinks about that.  It's yours, go have it the way YOU want it!