How do you take a shaving product and introduce it to 27 million viewers in a way that keeps them engaged and actually interested?

You add sharks. Lots of sharks, big meat eating sharks. Then you sit back and collect a bunch of industry awards. Sounds like a whole lot of fun? It was (No sharks were harmed in the making, crew stubbed a toe though).

One of my biggest challenges with the creation of commercials is taking audiences into places and scenarios that are just bizarre enough that they say, "wait a sec, I WANT to see how this comes out.

This is where commercial film and TV magic happens.

We were tasked with such a commercial for client Gillette and BBDO. The original idea they presented was pretty broad, where can we go with a razor and sharks?

We went to the dark side of the moon and back coming up with the, "shaving in a shark cage challenge" with live sharks. And these were not just any sharks, these were Tigers (Galeocerdo cuvier) the biggest predators of the ocean next to the Great White.

What we were proposing seemed to some like utter madness, get Tigers to surround a cage with divers shaving inside and if possible have them bite the cages.

Madness or brilliance always depends on if you can pull off the operation. Fortunately I happen to work with some of the top watermen in the field.

1. John Friday DP, the man is fearless and smart, nice combo in a DP

2. Greg 'Moondog' Mooney, underwater credits include the movie "The Cove"

3. Luke Tipple, just Google his name

In the end we ended up with a home run commercial that folks are still talking about to this day. Thanks in part to a dedicated team who deliver time and again when weather, budget, and wildlife all seem to conspire against us.

There's a whole lot more the underwater world can deliver to the commercial space. With Gillette we proved that even the most mundane of everyday products can thrill audiences with the right team, the right pitch, and in this case lots of sharks.

Here's a look at the BTS and what it takes to shoot a shark/razor commercial enjoy:

https://vimeo.com/26200452
How do you take a shaving product and introduce it to 27 million viewers in a way that keeps them engaged and actually interested?

You add sharks. Lots of sharks, big meat eating sharks. Then you sit back and collect a bunch of industry awards. Sounds like a whole lot of fun? It was (No sharks were harmed in the making, crew stubbed a toe though).

One of my biggest challenges with the creation of commercials is taking audiences into places and scenarios that are just bizarre enough that they say, "wait a sec, I WANT to see how this comes out.

This is where commercial film and TV magic happens.

We were tasked with such a commercial for client Gillette and BBDO. The original idea they presented was pretty broad, where can we go with a razor and sharks?

We went to the dark side of the moon and back coming up with the, "shaving in a shark cage challenge" with live sharks. And these were not just any sharks, these were Tigers (Galeocerdo cuvier) the biggest predators of the ocean next to the Great White.

What we were proposing seemed to some like utter madness, get Tigers to surround a cage with divers shaving inside and if possible have them bite the cages.

Madness or brilliance always depends on if you can pull off the operation. Fortunately I happen to work with some of the top watermen in the field.

1. John Friday DP, the man is fearless and smart, nice combo in a DP

2. Greg 'Moondog' Mooney, underwater credits include the movie "The Cove"

3. Luke Tipple, just Google his name

In the end we ended up with a home run commercial that folks are still talking about to this day. Thanks in part to a dedicated team who deliver time and again when weather, budget, and wildlife all seem to conspire against us.

There's a whole lot more the underwater world can deliver to the commercial space. With Gillette we proved that even the most mundane of everyday products can thrill audiences with the right team, the right pitch, and in this case lots of sharks.

Here's a look at the BTS and what it takes to shoot a shark/razor commercial enjoy:

https://vimeo.com/26200452